The Legal Aid Clinic of University Institute of Legal Studies (UILS), Panjab University was inaugurated on April 3, 2012 by Hon'ble Mr. Justice M.M. Kumar in presence of Hon'ble Mr. Justice Jasbir Singh, Judges Punjab and Haryana High Court. The clinic works to provide free legal aid to the poor and helpless people. The clinic is established under the Legal Services Authorities Act, 1987 and works in association with the State Legal Services Authorities (SLSA), Sector 9, Chandigarh. The Hon'ble Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High court is the Patron-in-Chief of the SLSA and one of the senior judges adheres to the post of the Executive Chairman of the authority. Presently, Hon'ble Mr. Justice Ravi Shanker Jha, Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court, Chandigarh is the Patron-in-Chief and Hon'ble Mr. Justice Gurmeet Singh Sandhawalia, Judge, Punjab and Haryana High Court is the Executive Chairman.
The Legal Aid Society launched the Online Legal Aid Platform of UILS on 21st June, 2021 in the presence of Retired Hon'ble Mr. Justice Jasbir Singh, Judge, Panjab and Haryana High Court and Professor Raj Kumar, Vice Chancellor, Panjab University, as a part of its initiative to provide free legal aid in these harsh COVID times. The concept of community outreach has been of paramount importance in the committee as the Society believes that individuals equipped with pristine knowledge of the law are not to remain in ivory towers but to cater to social realities and needs.
Form in English
Form in Hindi
Form in Punjabi
Rules, Regulations and Acts
- The National Legal Services Authority (Legal Services Clinics) Regulations, 2011.
- The National Legal Services Authority (Lok Adalat) Regulations, 2009.
- The National Legal Services Authority (Free and Competent Legal Services) Regulations, 2010.
- The National Legal Services Authority Rules, 1995.
- Supreme Court Legal Services Committee Rules, 2000.
- The Legal Services Authorities Act, 1987.
- The Constitution of India.